Friday, August 1, 2008

Uglies and Pretties


My friend recommended this book to me, so I checked it out of the library and started to read. I will admit I found the writing style annoying, and it took me a while to get truly interested in the book (I was way past the half-way point when I actually started enjoying it). The ending was interesting, though, which made me want to read the second book - Pretties.


I enjoyed Pretties a lot!

The general idea of the books are that instead of having prejudice and racism based off of their looks, everyone gets the same operation done when they are 16 that makes everyone look beautiful with a type of 'plastic surgery'. The only problem is that once they get the operation done, they are changed from how they once were. There are a band of renegades, so to speak, that don't want to be made beautiful by the operation and it's their story of how they are tracked and hunted, etc.

I don't want to spoil the book too much, but the second book pretties was A LOT more interesting than the first book. I liked the characters in it a lot more (Shay and David in particular drove me crazy in the first book, as did Tally (the main character). She was a lot more likable in the 2nd book, as were the new characters introduced in the book. The plot was also a lot more fun to read, I thought.

I will warn you that the ending of Pretties will leave you wanting more! I made the mistake and have book 4 (extras) instead of book 3 (specials), so I'm still waiting on that one from the library.

So I will say, if you are a reader like me check them out. I think so far they're about as enjoyable to read as twilight... Maybe even more so, for me anyways. But I'll have to get to that topic at another date.

1 comments:

The Jacquart Family said...

ok, this is totally out of the blue, but I am trying to figure out how to add the church link to mormon.org like you did. I am having a lame brain moment and don't know what to do. Can you help me out and make me feel smart again?