Monday, July 7, 2008

The Host


A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of reading "The Host", a new novel by Stephenie Meyer (The author of the Twilight Series). "The Host" is a new twist on the Invasion of the body snatchers storyline. I was a little skeptical at first, but I went ahead and bought it and it was worth every cent. I could not put the book down. It was a tad bit drawn out, but unlike most books I was not bored even while I read about the dynamics of the alien species, etc. etc.

I think the only thing that bothered me in the book was the character Jared. Did anyone else have that same problem? I never liked him. So the whole 'jared' love triangle storyline was kind of a little over the top for me because the whole time I thought Ian was more likeable, etc. And does anyone else notice how the author (who is a mormon) has virgins as main characters (Bella, Wanda, etc) but instead of making a stand with her writing that it's better to wait to have sex until you're married (exception - edward, and even he was going to throw his morals out the window the last book) she has them being virgins only because they haven't had a boyfriend before then. I just thought that was kind of entertaining.

Even with that, however, I thought it was an enjoyable read. I would definitely recommend it. I enjoy Meyer's style of writing beause it's not too complicated to read and she really does have interesting views on things (aliens, vampires, werewolves, etc.) I enjoyed the Host more than the Twilight Series, but there's still one more book (due out next month!), so maybe the Vampire Series will redeem themselves with that last book.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

I just finished the book last night before bed. I thought that it was good too. I agree with the "drawn out on the alien" part, but I guess that made it all the more interesting. I still can't wait for "Breaking Dawn" to come out. It comes out 4 days before the baby is due. Maybe I can read that while in labor, and basically miss everything, except for when she comes out...hahahaha... fat chance! It's worth wishing though!

Mandy said...

My e-mail is mandywilding@hotmail.com