Friday, November 6, 2009

Re-Reading Twilight


So I have been a cynic when it comes to the vampire Twilight novels written by Stephenie Meyer. I remembered reading them and continuing to read them at a steady pace, but being somewhat annoyed by them and then by the last book just wishing it would all end.

Many of you remember that I actually did like the 4th book quite a lot -well, the 2nd half of the 4th book. So I left the series happy and content, though I did find it kind of weird with whom ends up with whom and that kind of thing.

Anyways, no book is perfect. My sisters Mary and Jeanette recently read the books for the first time. Mary finished them all and has told me she hates them and won't read them again. Jeanette loves them and is on New Moon. So I thought, why not? I'll re-read them too. I recently saw a new trailer for the 2nd movie of the Twilight saga, and I really didn't remember too much about it.

So, I read Twilight last week. My conclusion? It was still an easy read and I finished it within a few days, even with children around to occupy my day. But I still think I don't like how unhealthy Bella and Edwards relationship is. I of course don't like Romeo and Juliet for the same reason. Don't get me wrong - I know there are times when you are swept off your feet in love, but it just kind of creeps me out that before they were even dating or even friends (were they ever friends?) he was sneaking into her room to watch her sleep. And she totally thinks its okay.

Can anyone say CREEPY?

Anyways, I'll get off my soap box. :) I actually find myself enjoying the books more the 2nd time around, and the movie has since stopped annoying me too. It actually wears you down after like the 5th time watching it - kind of like Napolean Dynamite and Nacho Libre. James actually got it for me as a joke, so we pop it in every few months when we want a cheesy movie to entertain us.

I'm currently reading New Moon. James always said he liked Twilight, but New Moon was when he thought it got boring and he decided he'd rather just listen to it on tape and get it over with, then read it. But I always liked New Moon. I think it was because Edward was out of the picture for most of the novel, and Bella some-what got her head on straight with a healthy (somewhat, right?) friendship with her werewolf pal Jake. And while none of the characters were really perfect and have weaknesses that will make you dislike them (Edward being a jerk to Bella, Bella being a jerk and using her 'school' friends, Jacob being a jerk to Alice and the rest of the vampires) and they do get a tad annoying at times, through and through it's an easy enjoyable read that has interesting characters and a fun plot line.

Would I say it has the best quality for writing? No. But I decided this time not to let it bother me and its made the experience much more enjoyable.

So I am jumping back on the Twilight band wagon. (Was I ever on it?)

I don't remember what I said today to James today, but it had something to do with Twilight, and James told me "You are never to make comparisons to the twilight universe with me again." Sooo, I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy myself quite a bit by hyping it all up a bit. Especially since I still have 2 more books to go. :)

I'm sure I will have things to add about things I find out about New Moon here soon. Such as pictures of the characters or what not. I'm not sure how nerdy I will be. Check back and see I guess.

0 comments: