Thursday, May 28, 2009

Oh the joys of camping...

For Alan's wedding I felt like I hardly saw Kevin, Wendy or Jeanette's families - or really anyone, for that matter. Everything was busy and crazy, and we never got to sit around and visit like I like to do and we haven't really had a chance to really relax and enjoy each others company as an entire family for a very long time. Most of the times we get together are when we have special events (baby blessings, house dedications, etc) and usually we have to split our time and concentration with planning that activity out or spending time with in-laws, friends, etc.

So James and I decided we should have a family reunion with just the family sometime, so then we would have a little more time to visit and see each others kids and families and really be able to spend some good, quality time with each other and catch up. We talked about it, and thought of where it could be, and we mentioned that a possible fun place to get together would be at Yellowstone. So I sent out the email, inviting them all to a family reunion with us at Yellowstone sometime next fall.

Boy, that did not go over well. Why, you may ask? Well, for some very good reasons that my family continues to bring up every time camping is mentioned.

a.) I am not what you would call 'outdoorsey'. I don't like hiking. I don't like walking around aimlessly, even if its to look at fun things like animals, out in the heat. Mostly, I just don't like being dirty, being too cold or too hot, not being in control of my environment and that kind of thing. I enjoy looking at the beautiful things nature has to offer, but nature and I don't always get along.

b.) They like to bring up the fact that I hate camping so much that they use to have to drag me to the van kicking and screaming, even when I was a teenager and should have been a little more mature about it. Poor Alan once almost got a broken nose because I kicked him so hard in the face because it was 'his job' to get me to the car... I DO feel bad about that now Alan, but at the time I remember quite firmly feeling - well, he knew what he was getting into.

c.) They used to have to trick me into it (ie- if you want a ride home from college you have to come with us... oh, and we're taking your fiance with us and we'll tell him horrible stories about you if you don't come... or my favorite was when Wendy had everyone secretly pack things for me to go camping and didn't tell me we were camping until we were in the car and going... remember that? Oh yes. The joys. She forgot to bring a sleeping bag for me, I tried to sleep with my 3 or 4 year old brother Sean and he never would stay inside the sleeping bag with me (my face would always wake up with his feet near my head and he was just chilling outside the sleeping bag)... eventually it got so cold I switched targets and went and slept with my sister Julie. She was much more accommodating, however we had one of the 'special' sleeping bags... where the aromatherapy was not to anyones liking, if you know what I'm saying...)

So I guess I can see where their surprise comes from when I mentioned going camping together as a family. Not a normal "Michelle" comment to say the least. However, there are some things that I have changed my opinion about as far as camping goes.

1. It's very nice having a husband now who knows I hate camping so he does everything he can to make sure that I am having 'as best an experience as I can'

2. I like that I have nice brothers (Kevin for example) who are more than willing to help James set up a tent so I don't have to. I also like the fact that when your family is there you don't have to worry about helping to build the fire or those sort of things because your brothers or dad like doing it.

3. Now that Sean and Chris are older they are pretty entertaining to be around when they camp because they are just about as lazy as I am... They would much rather hang out in the tent and do nothing like I like to do then go 'hiking', get dirty, etc. etc. so I have someone to stay put with - and if everyone is forced to go on the outing they are the ones now vocalizing the complaints about hiking, it taking too long, the weather, etc - so I don't even have to say a word of complaint myself. They do it all for me.

4. My dad makes AMAZING breakfasts whenever we camp. I'm sorry, but the food when we camp DOES taste dang yummy. I don't think I ever drink as much hot chocolate as I do when we camp. I even like cobblers when we camp, when I normally don't. When you travel with Mom she always makes sure we have little snacks too when we have lunch which makes life fun. (As long as the bears don't eat it)... Dinner sometimes is interesting, mostly because I hate waiting 2 hours for meat or carrots to cook. But hey - mostly good.

5. I don't like making my own smores, so its nice to have a husband around who is nice about making me at least 2 before he tells me I could make any other ones on my own. Usually 2 is enough for me. :)

6. It's nice having a portable heater with me when I sleep (thank you James) and a great pillow, and someone to get up with you to use the restroom when you need it so you don't have to feel like a huge inconvenience by waking someone else up or suffer through holding it all night - both of which are constantly on my night time worries.

7. James doesn't mind me putting on makeup while I'm camping, and doesn't mind if I don't. He's a pretty easy going camping partner.

All those things being said - my family is still very accurate in the assumption that camping is still not my favorite thing - especially when they bring up the fact that I will be taking care of 2 little ones when we go and not just myself, which I am use to.

Sooooo - James and I are trying to think of alternative 'reunion' ideas, and my family will most likely be going camping in Yellowstone with out us in July. Hey, it was a good thought while it lasted.

One of the counselor's of the bishopric showed James and I this clip when I mentioned how I didn't like the outdoors very much. I laughed SO hard. It really emanates my feelings about camping to a T. Enjoy. (p.s. - mom, he does say the word crap in the beginning... I know, not as risque as your beloved Star Trek movie, but I thought I would warn you anyways. You have to go to the blog to watch it)

2 comments:

Melissa (Murdoch) McKinley said...

oh, you had me laughing out loud!! it's probably a good thing i didn't know about your dislike for camping back in high school or we could have been TROUBLE together! my parents still like to tell stories about the pioneer trek, AKA the worst day of my life... and how did we ever survive girls camp? i agree though, the idea of camping is so nice, and romantic...and would actually be fun just with our husbands...but it's SO NOT FUN with kids and all the dirt that follows! i'm glad i'm not the only one who feels this way! :)

kaleen said...

wow, I didn't know you disliked camping that much! I think it's awesome you're willing to do it for some quality family time (and that you'll have help, entertainment and be as comfortable as possible)! Sounds great :D