Warning: There will be points made about the movie, so it may contain spoilers.
So no one told me that the movie Twilight was bad. They said it was cheesy, but good. I had person after person tell me that they liked it, etc. So I thought - well it can't be that bad, so James and I went and bought our tickets five minutes before the movie started, got awesome seats, and even had time to text my family to make sure Jack was still sleeping. The movie started and there were squeels of excitement from around the theater. The movie started.
That was about when the excitement left the room.
You know it's bad when Edward is introduced and everyone in the room laughs, not because it's a funny scene, but because of how awkward the movie gets. I think there was laughter for most of the movie after that, most of it from all the horrible acting, bad effects, and direction of the movie. When we left the theater the various groups of people started to talk about their reaction to the movie. I would have to agree with one sentiment we heard behind us as we got to our car.
"I've seen animated characters act better." and "I can't believe a movie could ever be that bad..."
Things I liked about the movie:
Bella was less annoying in this movie than the actress has ever been in any other movie I've seen. That's a good thing. (Though notice all the twitching and eye blinking and stuttering that the director didn't help her through...) I think with out her as the lead role the movie would have been a lot worse.
I LOVED Charlie. I thought he was cooler than he was in the book.
I liked Renee.
I liked Esme.
I thought the school kids all did a great job acting their parts.
Jacob was how I thought he would be. Nice, friendly, cute, and not a big part.
I thought Esme, Alice, and Emmett did a great job. They were hardly seen in the movie (excluding Alice), but they were fine. Esme and Alice were close to how I pictured them. Emmett looked different, but acted very true to the story. I thought they did a great job and am looking forward to seeing more from these actors.
Victoria was cooler than I expected. I thought she did a good job taunting and am looking forward to seeing more from her.
The rare moments when Edward smiles
All the Peter Parker moments I will take with me (Basically every scene Edward and Jasper were in)
Things that ruined the movie:
All the bad acting, mostly from Jasper and Edward Cullen.
How weird Edward was the entire movie.
The weird dancing thing the vampires do around the fire at the end. What the heck?
Mis-casting: Rosalie, Edward, and Carlisle for me.
The low budget effects. In this day and age if you know you are going to have to be doing a special effects movie (ie-perhaps a vampire movie?) you can't do a good job of it or give it full justice if you don't spend the money on it. The effects were horrible. I seriously felt embarrased. (Running up trees? The way they flew around? Baseball anyone? GAG!)
The editing/camera angles/lighting - everything.
I will say I came with low expectations and I'm glad I did. I went into it trying to think of it as a made-for-tv movie and it was still worse than any tv show I would ever spend time watching. People are still telling me they loved the movie - even my own sisters really liked it. I guess it comes down to the fact that I don't like spending $20 on low budget movies that waste my time and are basically sucking the life out of me. But that may just be me.
Final score? Two thumbs way down, though it was better than Eragon. So if you liked Eragon then this might be the movie for you.
Take a Peek at Fall ’17
9 years ago

2 comments:
I really didn't think it was that bad, maybe because I watched it after reading your post and expected horrible acting and effects.
I really didn't think it was that bad, maybe because I watched it after reading your post and expected horrible acting and effects.
Post a Comment