Friday, January 30, 2009

Sewing Advice!!!

So I have never sewn anything in my life. Well, I haven't sewn anything that I haven't tricked my mom into 'mostly making' that is. But I have some projects that I want to start working on and I'm wondering where to start. For those talented sewers out there, what sewing machines do you like? Where is the best place to buy? How did you learn to use it and sew things? I know people say trial and error, but is there any other advice you have for a sewing virgin???

5 comments:

Jes said...

Love the new look! I dont have an answer to your question ... but I have at least two projects - no three - which need sewn right now. So when you figure it out, please help me!

Stacey said...

Hey Michelle. I learned to sew at BYU-I. I took the practical homemaking course. It was fun! You should try and take it!

Alan and Kiersten said...

yeah i have NO idea. i can sew on a button and that's about it! i guess i would say find someone who can sew well and have them teach you. my mother-in-law is awesome and she has taught my sister-in-law some stuff. good luck!

Marie said...

I learned to sew, by hand mostly, from my mom who learned from her grandmother who was a professional seamstress. I think Porter's Craft Store (I think that's what it's called...) has monthly classes. I went to a few scrapbooking classes there and remember seeing fliers for sewing project lessons.

Cortney said...

andrew got me my sewing machine from costco but I'm not sure if they have them now, things come and go there. It's a brother and I like it a lot. It's just a basic one but it has done great for everything I've sewn. Good luck!